Agostini v. Felton
Supreme Court of the United States
October Term, 1996
On Petition for a Writ of Certiorari
to the United States Court of Appeals
for the Second Circuit
BRIEF OF THE NATIONAL JEWISH COMMISSION
ON LAW AND PUBLIC AFFAIRS ("COLPA") AS
AMICUS CURIAE IN SUPPORT OF PETITIONERS
INTEREST OF THE AMICUS CURIAE
The individual organizations represented by COLPA are:
(1) Agudath Harabonim of the United States and Canada is the oldest Orthodox rabbinical organization in the United States. Its membership includes leading scholars and sages, and it is involved with educational, social and legal issues significant to the Jewish community.
(2) Agudath Israel of America is a national Orthodox Jewish public interest organization with chapters in numerous Jewish communities throughout the United States and Canada. It is dedicated to advancing Jewish social, religious and educational concerns.
(3) National Council of Young Israel is a coordinating body for more than 300 Orthodox synagogue branches in the United States and Israel. It is involved in matters of social and legal significance to the Orthodox Jewish community.
(4) The Rabbinical Alliance of America is an Orthodox Jewish rabbinical organization with more than 400 members. It has for many years been involved in a variety of religious, social and educational areas affecting Orthodox Jews.
(5) The Rabbinical Council of America is the largest Orthodox Jewish rabbinical organization in the world. Its membership exceeds one thousand rabbis, and it is deeply involved in issues related to religious freedom.
(6) Torah Umesorah-National Society of Hebrew Day Schools is the coordinating body for more than 600 Jewish Day Schools across the United States.
(7) The Union of Orthodox Jewish Congregations of America (the "U.O.J.C.A.") is the largest Orthodox Jewish synagogue organization in North America with over one thousand member congregations. Through its Institute for Public Affairs, the U.O.J.C.A. represents the interests of its national constituency on public policy issues.
Page 3 of 4
1 | 2 | 3 | 4